Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Bookshelf Styling 101

Bookshelves are great for any room in the house...for storage and to display items. I have 4 IKEA shelves in my home. I have 2 Billy's in our "office" (actually one wall in our bedroom) and 2 Lacks. I think it's a waste of money to spend a lot of money on "quality" shelves. They don't have moving parts and you never actually have to "use it" (i.e. sit on it or open or close it) like other furniture.

Here are some styling tips for the shelves in your lives...

I love displaying hard cover books.
I threw away all the dust jackets and sorted by color to make it look more organized.

Inexpensive storage: On the right, we have white storage bins from IKEA and on the left, HERMES boxes (the smaller was a wedding gift and the larger once housed my mom's birkin). The HERMES boxes had such a vibrant, gorgeous color that I couldn't throw them out and now, they add a really nice pop of color to my shelf!

In baby A's room, I used baskets from Land of Nod to store her toys and random knick knacks.
On the top shelf, I displayed her little books and a piggy bank and on the bottom shelf, I used Land of Nod boxes for more storage.

Please share your own ideas for bookshelf styling with me! :)

Anna Rice (April 27, 2009 at 5:49 PM)  

I love the top shelf! It looks very .. educated and sophisticated.

Melissa (April 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM)  

I love those Hermes boxes. I just want the box, but anything from Hermes would be a plus too. =P

Grace (April 27, 2009 at 11:58 PM)  

I love how you use those Land of Nod boxes! They look great on the shelf as decor. My kids and I color them and put finished art projects or schoolwork inside. Gotta love em.

christiana (April 28, 2009 at 12:45 PM)  

i really like the color coordination of the top shelf.. and i agree about shelves.. i got mine from target and love it!

. (May 9, 2009 at 4:32 PM)  

I have the same bookshelf from IKEA. I agree with not spending so much money on shelves. IKEA has sturdy pieces for decent prices. The only issue is putting it together, but that's what guys are for, right? =P

duet letterpress (June 17, 2009 at 6:06 PM)  

i'm so happy to have discovered your blog! you have FANTASTIC style! love, love the hermes boxes :]

SK (July 6, 2009 at 2:51 AM)  

I love the Hermes orange. Your shelves look great!

Post a Comment