Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Real Art for Real People

Everyone remembers being a freshman in college and going down to the poster store to pick up some "art" for your dorm room. In my case, I believe it was a "Breakfast at Tiffany's" poster. Then, my junior year while studying abroad, I "upgraded" my art to prints of my favorite Monet's, Manet's and Van Gogh's.

It is cute and all but I think once you're out of college and live in your own place, you can do better than movie posters and prints of famous art. There are many options out there for people like us who can't afford to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on artwork.

1. Frame wallpaper
Ours is "French Dot" by Nama Rococo Wallpaper Studio and is actually a combination painting/screenprint. The black part is screenprinted but the colors are hand painted on so each sheet is absolutely unique and one of a kind. The colors used in each print are unique as well so you will see that mine looks different than the one on the website. This is the most expensive item on this list at $220.

2. Original Illustrations
Mine are by AshleyG on etsy. They are original illustrations that are digitally colored. They are adorable and have a lot of character! These prints are $20 each!

3. Unique Photography
I'm slightly obsessed with these Alicia Bock photos that my sister found. They are so dreamlike and have all the charm of vintage photographs. I'm desperately trying to find a home for these pieces somewhere in my condo. These are $35 each!

4. Stretch fabric over a canvas frame
My sister in law saw this beautiful fabric in Domino Magazine (ugh...still soo upset that they went out of business!!) and stretched it over a canvas frame to make a large and dramatic focal point for their living room. She has a beautiful home that is chock full of personality and detail. Maybe she'll allow me to do a home tour on this blog someday..?

Any other ideas for affordable art? Please feel free to add to this list! :)

Truly Smitten (April 16, 2009 at 10:10 AM)  

these are great! I also am a huge fan of Julia Rothman and UK's Bold & Noble prints...and for representing your beloved city, I LOVE Ork Design's prints (I have the 'Chicago' one - I hope to get a poster for whichever city we move to next)

www.juliarothman.com
www.boldandnoble.com
www.orkposters.com

christiana (April 16, 2009 at 11:45 AM)  

sarah's so creative & savvy.. i love how she actually went ahead and put fabric over a canvas frame!

Hana Choi (April 16, 2009 at 7:40 PM)  

I love Sarah's print! I actually stretched a Marimekko tea towel over a frame -- it's smaller, so easier to stretch without bumps.

Know your schedule for NY yet?

Unknown (April 16, 2009 at 8:07 PM)  

i can't believe how affordable they are!

Anonymous –  (April 18, 2009 at 4:26 AM)  

beautiful pieces!

www.balmainbazaar.blogspot.com

Unknown (April 23, 2009 at 2:33 AM)  

Alicia Bock is so fantastic!!

Unknown (April 23, 2009 at 9:19 AM)  

Good Modern Furniture

http://www.laflat.com/

Stacy (April 23, 2009 at 4:07 PM)  

the unique photography one is incredibly beautiful! you have great taste!

http://fashionhandglide.blogspot.com

1GH (May 6, 2009 at 2:16 PM)  

I found some really nice letterpress posters and other items that make for great, affordable wall art; http://onegrandhome.wordpress.com/2009/04/29/decorating-with-letterpress/

Muhammad Atif (May 12, 2012 at 1:19 AM)  

Your art gallery is just appreciate able, its really is a fun.
Freshwater Pearls

Post a Comment