Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Fashionable diaper bags....is that an oxymoron?

Since A's arrival, all my precious handbags have been stored away and in their place is dun dun dun...the diaper bag. It just doesn't make sense to carry both a diaper bag and a separate handbag. Lucky for me, a dear friend from Mia Bossi gifted me with the Reese bag in blueberry. This is about as nice as you can get for a diaper bag!


But since I will be pretty much exclusively using my diaper bag for the next, oh 5 years or so...I decided I need some other options as well. Just like how we have different handbags to go with different outfits...I need different diaper bags. Now, Miabossi is about as good as it gets in terms of diaper bags...so I had to venture out to non-diaper bag land.

Here are my top 2 choices for now...

1. Goyard St. Louis GM

pros
+ very lightweight
+ durable material (can throw around w/o worrying)

cons
- no zipper closure!
- not sure about bright colors but don't like how the black looks
My favorite is the white but not an option since it will get dirty quickly as a diaper bag.

My other favorite colors are orange and blue but wondering if I'll get sick of the bright colors.

2. YSL downtown tote

pros
+ large and purty!
+ zipper closure

cons
- heavy leather and hardware!
- I'd be nervous about getting the leather wet or damaged
So help! Which do you think is the better option? and if you chose the goyard, what color is your favorite?

Isabelle (April 9, 2009 at 8:51 AM)  

both of them are beautiful! i don't have any kids, but i work with them often. i've noticed that lots of mothers like to use big canvas totes from ll bean monogrammed with the family name or their little one's initials. i know it's not the most fashionable option, but the totes are inexpensive, durable and washable! and i've always thought they had a cute preppy look to them.

ps - love your blog! and your home is beautiful.

Pauline (April 9, 2009 at 9:51 AM)  

i vote for YSL! it's more timeless and the goyards don't have the compartments you might need...
p.s. your blog is much much fun to read!!

Me. (April 9, 2009 at 11:13 AM)  

Hi Jiye, You already have a blue bag from Mia Bossi, so I'd say get a different color than Blue. I was GONNA say get the DARK DARK blue, but that's still blue...Orange is a good option since you can where it with all of your brown outfits. Don't go black, that just adds to the "common-ness" YSL is too heavy I think...

Anonymous –  (April 9, 2009 at 11:42 AM)  

Ok, if you are gun-ho on getting a new diaper bag then you might want to ignore what I’m about to say. BUT when my now 17 month old turned about 9 months I went out and got a fancy diaper bag to replace the fancy winter diaper bag I was using. A dear friend commented how much she loved it but that she doesn’t carry diaper bags. Huh? How could that be she had a small child about a year older then mine. That’s when all my mommy friends clued me in that at about a year old you sorta go back to your regular purse and just stuff a few child supplies in it or you scale back to a mini diaper bag. I refused to buy into what they were saying but at about 12-13 months I did just that and the fancy new diaper bag got very little use. It was true, at about 12 months you need A LOT less stuff. These days we can get away with slipping a diaper in my purse and the sippy cup in my husbands jacket pocket.

Just a little FYI in case you want to use that money towards a fancy new and improved purse that might get more use.

FASHION CHALET (April 9, 2009 at 12:53 PM)  

Thank you.

Yes, a professional photographer, in the local area, contacted me and I have been working with him ever since on some of my blog outfit shoots. We only became in touch a few weeks ago! :]

xx

The Queen of Hearts (April 9, 2009 at 1:22 PM)  

I'm going to have to choose neither. I understand your desire to have something a little more fashionable but I don't think either of them is practical. The Goyard bag is quite light and thin strapped. Imagine all the things you'll need to carry in addition to diapers for your child as a mom-on-the-go, the bag will pick up weight and those straps will dig into your shoulder. If you are carrying nothing but diapers, fine but once you start tossing in other baby essentials, the weight issues will become a problem for your shoulder.
The YSL, I think, is out of the question. As you yourself mentioned, they are inherently heavy, with the leathers and hardware that they use plus, I think it might come off as pretentious. Using a $1900 purse as a diaper bag is much, considering all the other women I've ever seen carry it, use it as their everyday fashion bag. Again, this isn't to remove fashion from your diaper bag search, I just feel like using a bag that is so gaudy as the YSL Downtown is a beacon and it shouldn't be about that. It should be about comfort, style and most importantly, carrying the baby's needs. I wish I new some brands to point you in the direction but I don't at the moment. If I come across anything that I think you might be interested in, I will pass it your way!

http://derherzen.blogspot.com/

christiana (April 9, 2009 at 5:46 PM)  

wow! so many long comments! i don't know anything about being a baby mama but my friend has the ysl bag and it really doesn't seem practical as a baby bag.. although i do love it :)

steph (April 9, 2009 at 6:25 PM)  

between the two, i'd go with the goyard. i'm immediately drawn to the dark blue but since your current one is already blue, i'm thinking yellow might be fun...

anyhoo, but i don't think you should buy either if you're not crazy about them or think that's they're fully functional. just keep searching! hehehe.

Fried Okra and Cup Ramen –  (April 9, 2009 at 11:58 PM)  

FYI: Your husband still uses a set of golf clubs he bought at a garage sale for $75.

PearlsAndGreenTea (April 10, 2009 at 5:27 AM)  

Thanks for all your feedback everyone! It was a great help! :)

Fried Okra and Cup Ramen: Can't believe you actually thought Steak and French Fries was a real blog! hahaha

ellie –  (April 12, 2009 at 11:27 PM)  

have you seen hayden-harnett's ibiza convertible tote? i'm thinking of it for a carryon, but it might work as light, easy-to-clean diaper bag, too.

http://tinyurl.com/ibizabag

buster (April 13, 2009 at 12:46 AM)  

Thanks for the Mia Bossi plug...such kind words! =)
Yeah, I totally agree about having multiple diaper bags, you have to switch it up at times!
I think I would go with the Goyard. I see a lot of moms carrying the LV Neverfull as a diaper bag. We get plenty of phone calls from mothers just ordering the interior lining of the Mia Bossi bags. They line it up with their LV Neverfulls and Palmeros since there are no compartments inside. So there's an idea for you if you go with the Goyard.
YSL, I don't think its a big deal if the bag is too heavy cuz of the leather/hardware. One of top sellers is all leather. I guess if you look good carrying it...who cares! And for the leather, I think you'll just go through normal wear and tear. I think my concern would be the interior. If the lining is cloth or even suede, it would suck if there was a spill/stain.

Bacon and Eggs –  (April 20, 2009 at 6:24 PM)  

go goyard! YSL too heavy....I love your blog, Yej! hehehehe!

Anonymous –  (April 27, 2009 at 10:35 PM)  

just got a bag by "skip hop" at a thrift store. found out after the fact that it's a diaper bag. i've had a couple compliments on it and i love it cause it holds everything but the kitchen sink and still looks slim and stylish. the link - http://www.skiphop.com/

Post a Comment