Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The best gift I ever gave

Our elf, Chippy giving Mr. T some love.

It was the first Christmas hubbie and I celebrated together. He had mentioned before how he remembered distinctly only getting a Christmas present once growing up. He woke up one year when he was 5 or 6 to a present sitting next to him in bed. It was a Mr. T doll and it was perfect. In the years that followed, he would wake up excited on Christmas morning thinking maybe there would be a present next to him again only to be disappointed. Many of us second generation kids grew up similarly because our parents just didn't understand the traditions or were too busy trying to make a living in a new country to find time.

Anyway, I searched for weeks and tracked down a vintage Mr. T doll circa 1983 on ebay. I still remember the look on his face when he saw Mr. T. There's something so special about giving and receiving a truly thoughtful gift. 

What's the most memorable gift you've ever given or received?

Content Director - Strong Female Leaders (December 14, 2011 at 12:00 PM)  

This is certainly a hearty and sweet story. As another second generation kid, there are many things I did not and could not share with my parents. But it's nice to have a kid of my own now to share everything with.

http://www.thegirlieblog.com

Mom Fashion World (December 14, 2011 at 12:18 PM)  

Awww, that's a cute lil' character!
The most memorable give I've ever received
was a vintage clothes given by my beloved MIL.

By the way, I stumbled across your blog from topmommyblog site, looking for some fellow mommy blogger and I'm glad to meet you..
Cared in following blogs via GFC?
Check out my blog, let me know if you like it, maybe
we can follow each other. Looking forward to see you there. Thanks!

http://www.momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

Anonymous –  (December 14, 2011 at 12:28 PM)  

really? I had no idea other second generation kids grew up with no Christmas presents...that's so sad :( my parents had struggles financially, but we've always exchanged gifts, esp. during Christmas.

I can't wait to have children of my own (when it's finally my turn) to not only spoil a little, but more importantly, to teach the true meaning of Christmas!

donna (December 15, 2011 at 6:39 AM)  

That is absolutely too sweet and thoughtful!

Ashleigh (December 19, 2011 at 12:07 AM)  

That is soooo sweet of you! My most memorable gift was my cat - it wasn't at Christmas, just a random day. He was a stray and hubby brought him home, it melted my heart!

Jen @ redsolesandredwine (December 19, 2011 at 11:34 AM)  

Loving this story, so sweet and thoughtful.

Anonymous –  (December 22, 2011 at 6:36 PM)  

That is so thoughtful of you! Great story.

Post a Comment