Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Project Toy Organization



Before A, I told myself I wouldn't let our condo be taken over by toys. I wrote about it a little here. Little did I know, it would get a lot worse. Two years later, I looked around to find that toys had completely taken over our living room and I had nothing but a few Land of Nod bins to show for my futile efforts to organize. I decided enough was enough.


BEFORE
We used to have this lone bookshelf in our living room. I wrote about bookshelf styling here. Gradually, I started moving out our things and moving in A's toys but clearly, there wasn't enough space.

 BEFORE
The rest of her toys were stashed in a corner of our living room. I'm ashamed to admit it got this bad.
 
 AFTER
We got 2 additional IKEA bookshelves to match the one in A's room. We swapped the white in A's room for the black shelf that was here originally. These three shelves provide all the storage we need for A's toys and our things too. I'm also loving what all that white is doing to our place. It looks so much brighter!

AFTER
No more toys all over the floor or stashed by the fireplace. Yay! Also, now that everything has it's place, clean up is so much easier for both me and A. 

Is your home cluttered or organized? Is your home overflowing with toys? Any organizational tips to share?

Sara Louise (March 2, 2011 at 7:00 AM)  

I'm constantly trying to organize things and looking for sources of inspiration and help. Ikea is usually pretty good for that.
Love the color of your walls!

Anonymous –  (March 2, 2011 at 7:27 AM)  

With 1 child, it was easier to manage. Two children, 7 and 4, in a 1-br apt. We need more space. Their stuff takes over. We've donated alot of their old toys {or things they don't play with anymore}. Then come Christmas and birthdays -- more stuff to replace their donated stuff. The toy box and bins overfloweth!

milk tea + polkadots (March 2, 2011 at 7:50 AM)  

Very nice, Jiye! That big wall looks more balanced now w/ the 3 bookshelves.

dr.mommy (March 2, 2011 at 9:03 AM)  

nice!! james would be super proud cuz he has been trying to convince me to organize our messy living room, too. :) looks so tidy!

Anonymous –  (March 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM)  

great job! love that everything is up off the floor - that's a pet peeve of mine and I need to organize my home too!

my sis-in-law has three boys and she does a great job of labeling everything...so she knows what toys belong in what bin!

xo,
joAnn

Ella Pretty Blog (March 2, 2011 at 12:05 PM)  

Love the new look with the white shelves - having a place to store "buckets of toys" just makes everything look so much neater!

We have most of our kids toys in this IKEA system with the red buckets - but ours is in birch, not white wood.

http://simplemom.net/spring-cleaning-day-eight/

I also have another of these shelves in my study, where I keep "special" toys, and I rotate them out with what they currently have in their playroom.

marcela (March 2, 2011 at 1:42 PM)  

beautiful place :)
and toys are all on their places now

http://urbanprettygirl.blogspot.com/

Melissa (March 2, 2011 at 2:40 PM)  

I have no tips because we're living with my parents right now...but I LOVE this and might have to do it when I get my own place eventually!

Come take a look inside A Working Mom's Closet

Justine (March 2, 2011 at 5:28 PM)  

The white makes the room look so much bigger! I like it :)

Just better Together
come check out my giveaway

Tima (March 2, 2011 at 6:44 PM)  

The white does open up the room!! I hate clutter so Im constantly putting things in their place at all times.

Editor & Chic

Emma (Glitter and Gold) (March 2, 2011 at 11:34 PM)  

wow looks great, so organized, playful and fun!
We also try to keep things organized around here and I use alot of woven baskets from Cost Plus because they look great in the living room
xoxo
E

Carolyn (March 4, 2011 at 4:03 AM)  

I love what you've done to organize your living room! I also have the same problem, and you gave me an exquisite idea! Thanks!
Custom Patches

Craftiness NOW (March 5, 2011 at 1:42 PM)  

wow, love how everyone is doing spring cleaning! great job, ikea is the best. and her little pink chair is so adorable, wish i could fit into it!

Anonymous –  (March 19, 2011 at 5:15 PM)  

I see A has the Pottery Barn Anywhere Chair! I'm getting that for my niece's 3rd birthday.

Post a Comment