Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

What I'm reading...


I just finished Shanghai Girls and am halfway through Girl in Translation.  Both stories are about women from Asia (China and Hong Kong respectively) coming to America and building their lives here.  I find myself being drawn to these stories about Asian women and their journeys time and time again.  Perhaps because I feel, in some small way that I can relate.  Of course I wasn't a child laborer or detained at Angel Island but there are people I've left behind, there are things that weren't as I expected and there are times when I struggle with the word "home" and where that really is. 


If you're looking for some quick, easy reads, I recommend both of these books! Let me know if you enjoyed them and if not, lo siento.

Also, now that I'm almost through with Girl in Translation, looking for recommendations. Any good reads lately?

Truly Smitten (July 16, 2010 at 10:26 AM)  

I just got into Jill Mansell's books (Miranda's big mistake)...just like how you are into stories about women crossing over from asia, I am fanatic about british author's writing style and their humor! Jill Mansell and Jane Green's books are awesome! My favorite by Jane Green is Jemima J, Bookends and Mr. Maybe

dress up files (July 16, 2010 at 11:29 AM)  

I got really into Jane Green books when I studied abroad in london. I haven't read bookends though! Thanks!!

dress up files (July 16, 2010 at 11:44 AM)  

Sarah,another fantastic British author is Tony Parsons. Read "Man and Boy". He's more serious and poignant than Jane Green but equally as good, if not better!

milk tea + polkadots (July 16, 2010 at 12:09 PM)  

Hehe...I loved Jemimia J. It was hilarious! I read that and a few other Jane Green books a few years ago.

You've been blogging more, Jiye! Nice! Are you just relaxing in the Philippines for a couple more weeks?

Craftiness NOW (July 16, 2010 at 1:56 PM)  

these look really good, thanks for sharing. i just finished "never let me go" by kazuo ishiguru and 1 word: stunning. now i'm on to "eat, pray, love" by elizabeth gilbert...

elliezabeth (July 17, 2010 at 9:04 AM)  

i love to hear what you're reading--i hope you'll post on this again in the future. do you ever read mysteries? tana french is amazing--i'm reading her latest right now and it's so good.

Hana Choi (July 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM)  

omg i love this genre too! a bit off track, but have you ever read 'falling leaves' by adeline yen mah? i think i read it around the time i first met you (early college) and it's such a searing, poignant memoir. please read it!

Post a Comment