Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Happy Birthday Appa!

My dad turned 60 in April and none of us kids were there to celebrate with him. My brother and I live in Chicago, my sister lives in Singapore and my parents in the Philippines. We promised him a celebration when we all gathered in Maui in May. This is how we celebrated his birthday...

We had a limo pick them up from our resort and take them to the airport for a helicopter ride around Maui.

The limo then dropped them off at Sarrento's on the Beach, where we were waiting at a private table overlooking the beach. My dad really appreciates a good view and eating outdoors so it was perfect!

The entire group! My bro-in-law couldn't make the trip due to work obligations and he was definitely missed!

Just as we were finishing up our dinner, the sun began to set. So beautiful!

Singing happy birthday! Too bad A blew out his candles before he could get to them!

After months of wondering what to get our dad, he actually helped us out and said he could use a casual watch. We got him the Cartier Santos with carbon strap and he loved it! Yay!


 One last surprise at the end of the night: a slideshow. I think there were almost tears! Almost!

Watch the slideshow here!

A few months before my dad's birthday, a friend of mine mentioned that she and her sister got their mom a Mercedes Benz for her 60th birthday. I felt so defeated. Was that what his friends were getting from their kids? Would whatever we planned be a huge letdown? Could we come up with a night that was meaningful and memorable?

In the end, we just thought of the things my dad really loves...spending time with my mom, our family, reliving old memories (slideshow), adventure (helicopter ride), amazing views (dinner on the beach) and put together a night involving all of those elements. I think he really had a memorable night and we were so happy to see him take it all in. Happy Birthday Appa!

Have you had to plan a milestone birthday for anyone special? Any ideas? My mom's is coming up in a few years...

Unknown (June 8, 2011 at 6:31 AM)  

What a sweet celebration, I'm sure your dad loved it :)
xoxo

Melissa (June 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM)  

That is SPECTACULAR! I'm sure he enjoyed every second of your birthday celebration for him! What a great way to celebrate your dad.

Come take a look inside A Working Mom's Closet

Kristen Thornburg (June 8, 2011 at 9:56 AM)  

Those are all wonderful things you did for his birthday! Thanks for sharing with us. And you look SO adorable! I'm loving your baby bump!! :)

Suziee (June 8, 2011 at 1:04 PM)  

WOWW! Honestly, if I were a parent, I would've much more appreciated the experiencial/thoughtful/spending time with my family gifts than a car. Great job on all that planning! Your family looks so happy! =]

temi –  (June 8, 2011 at 2:59 PM)  

I love the family pic!

honey my heart (June 8, 2011 at 11:32 PM)  

what a great family celebration and vacation :)

Unknown (June 9, 2011 at 9:42 AM)  

Oh my, what a beautiful family! Really. Nothing can beat family being together for such a milestone event. And your dad looks so happy. Not for anything but the bragging about the Mercedes Benz.. that is such a korean thing (I'm saying this cuz I'm korean!). Don't buy into it and don't feel defeated about it. There is always someone ready to one-up someone else. Material things mean nothing. Family means everything. And you can't beat a Maui experience! Happy belated to your abogi.

kimmie (June 9, 2011 at 3:32 PM)  

WOW! A mercedes Benz for their 60th? That's insane.

Your trip sounds amazing, and glad that your dad had a great time! Lucky guy.

Truly Smitten (June 9, 2011 at 11:52 PM)  

Oh wow, totally forgot about the big 60th b-day hangab for korean parents! My dad's coming up in a few years. In my opinion, what your fam did for your dad...especially that slideshow and just having quality time with family is the BEST gift ever and tops a mercedes any day =). Material goods are not lifelong...but memories are! =)

5inchpumps (June 10, 2011 at 12:37 AM)  

jiye ! that slideshow was beautiful !! it got me choked up, can't imagine how thankful ur dad / family were :) haha !

Unknown (June 13, 2011 at 5:57 AM)  

Oh, I think that belated birthday celebration was worth the wait! You truly spoilt your dad. What a beautiful day! (And you all looked gorgeous!)

xx

Anonymous –  (June 13, 2011 at 9:14 PM)  

What a lovely celebration!!!

You should have mentioned to your braggy friend how a 60K Mercedes loses it's value the second it's driven off the lot ;)

dress up files (June 14, 2011 at 9:01 AM)  

I should clarify that my friend w the Mercedes is super sweet and doesn't like to brag at all!! She only mentioned it coz I asked what she did for her mom's birthday.

christiana (July 1, 2011 at 1:10 PM)  

aww looks like a perfect 60th for your pops!

Post a Comment