Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

A Couch Remodel?

ATTENTION!
A lot of my friends who are not huge blog readers have been asking for an email subscription and I finally got it. Enter your email address on the right where it says "Subscribe Via Email!" and the posts will be sent directly to your inbox as I post them! Yay for time saving shortcuts!
_____________________________________________________________________

Saw this couch a few months ago while I was in the burbs. It was just chilling on the side of the road, begging to be picked up and loved once again. I screeched for dear hubbie to stop the car so I could take a better look. I thought it had great potential with it's pin-tucks and curved legs.

 (Image by Monarch Restoration)

I imagined painting the wood in a high gloss white or black and adding a bright, contemporary looking fabric,  I imagined welcoming it into our home and what that would mean for our existing furniture. I imagined all this and more and then, just like that, we drove away. Granted it wasn't the perfect baroque couch I've been gaga over recently but being free does count for something, doesn't it?

Would you have picked up the couch? Do you have a story of something you didn't get but can't forget?

C (December 8, 2010 at 10:04 PM)  

Wow, what a transformation that would have been. The blue is such a saturated, pretty color against the white trim. Ahh! I wish you had stopped and gotten it. It would've been a sight to see how it turned out. But I hope there are no regrets.

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons (December 8, 2010 at 10:05 PM)  

Wait... so you got it right? Please oh please tell me you did! potential x100!!! I would have fought my husband to the death over that couch... ok... maybe i'm being a TAD dramatic.

i flipping love that couch though =)

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Anonymous –  (December 8, 2010 at 10:24 PM)  

That couch is amazing. It looks great sitting on a curb - I can't imagine how great it would look in a home. I hope you got it!

Unknown (December 8, 2010 at 10:31 PM)  

Hi Jiye! I probably wouldn't have picked it up because I'm not so handy with remodeling anything. I'm more of a start from scratch kind of person. But it looks like it would have been a fun project. :)

Btw... Thank you for the compliment!!! Hopefully I'll be back in shape as fantasticaly as you are! And no the bracelets only come in silver. Sorry. :(

Justine (December 8, 2010 at 10:50 PM)  

Oh! I wish you could have at least stopped and taken a look at it.

I probably wouldn't have picked it up.

Just Better Together

TheBabyMammaChronicles (December 8, 2010 at 11:02 PM)  

It's pretty and I like the remodel. However, though not OCD, I am a slight germophobe and so probably wouldn't be able to bring myself to pick it up regardless.

Kileen (December 9, 2010 at 12:39 AM)  

wow, can't believe this was just sitting out on the side of the road!! what a great find! this couch definitely has remodeling potential. let us know how it goes!

cuteandlittle.com

Content Director - Strong Female Leaders (December 9, 2010 at 3:25 AM)  

If I needed a couch and had no money - yes! I would have totally picked it up and scrubbed it down with soap and disinfectants. But I would probably just throw a sheet over it to look nice.

Pam (December 9, 2010 at 4:09 AM)  

I think I would have knocked on the door of the house nearest and asked if I could take the couch. I'm wary of just taking stuff.

Then I would have got it professionally cleaned...like they do for your car only with a couch...I'm not sure what I'd do after, make it some fabulous throw pillows and varnish the wood.

It's a fabulous looking couch that's for sure.

foxes & flamingos (December 9, 2010 at 8:13 AM)  

You gotta snatch those goodies up! I got an AMAZING Louis XV chair here in Wilmette. Spend just about $250 to recover it and its sitting in my living room.

PearlsAndGreenTea (December 9, 2010 at 8:19 AM)  

Sorry everyone! I didn't end up picking up the couch.

Keeping Up With Stella: I'm dying for a louis XV type chair. I would LOVE to see pics!!!!

Mama Slice (December 9, 2010 at 9:11 AM)  

I totally would have picked up the couch! That's a FABULOUS couch.. but I know.. Eddie probably wouldn't have let me either. :) But next time, just think of me and I'll help reupholster the couch! I've been wanting to get into reupholstering.. I've got a couch that's screaming for a makeover since the kids have destroyed it. :)

coolkids (December 9, 2010 at 10:32 AM)  

I would of totally picked up that couch!!!

Alisa (December 9, 2010 at 12:22 PM)  

Nice couch! I would love to have a piece like that in my apartment!

Cute blog!

alisaguk.blogspot.com

Samantha (December 9, 2010 at 3:33 PM)  

Oh yeah, a mirrored table with a crack in it, a beautifuly sketch of a horse in an ancient and moldy frame, what looked like a flokati rug and on and on.

Anonymous –  (December 9, 2010 at 3:45 PM)  

Please don't pick up furniture that's being disposed like that. We picked up a lovely Pottern Barn chair and a half and ottoman (they looked BRAND new) from the side of the road in Winnetka and later learned that it was the source of bedbugs that we got. I kid you not. I was trying to get pregnant at the time too, so we couldn't exterminate and literally had to throw everything out that wasn't dry cleanable. It's just not worth the risk unless you are okay with spraying the entire thing down with pesticides. If it looks too good to be true, it usually is. Now I know why someone left a new looking chair and a half by the side of the road.

Really. This is a true story.

Gorgeous Glam (December 9, 2010 at 5:52 PM)  

wow that was a great piece! I guess you might have to fumigate it first if you go off of anonymous' comment above though! lol. drama! I love what you would have transformed it into too! xo

PearlsAndGreenTea (December 9, 2010 at 6:43 PM)  

Anonymous: Oh my!!! What a nightmare! Okay...you have officially freaked me out! What do you think about buying from antique and flea markets? Same situation?

spicy bulgogi and spicy squid –  (December 9, 2010 at 9:10 PM)  

i hear that oprah does a show on hoarders. you should dvr it.

PearlsAndGreenTea (December 9, 2010 at 9:13 PM)  

spicy bulgogi (aka hubbie): i'm not the one with the hoarding issues...

Ashley Archibald (December 9, 2010 at 9:27 PM)  

that looks awesome! i love the blue

Erica (December 9, 2010 at 9:30 PM)  

I saw an AMAZING vintage armchair reminiscent of 17th century France on the street once. I know I could give it some lovin' and fixin' up, and then every hipster would have to eat their hearts out. Fortunately, I was on the phone with a friend who told me it probably had bedbugs. That stopped me in my tracks and I didn't even touch the chair.

Although they might look nice and be awesome finds, things on the street should NEVER be picked up. There is a reason they are on the street.

P.S. The last two comments made me laugh!

Joie de Viv (December 9, 2010 at 11:10 PM)  

hi there jiye! thanks for your comment because i've now found your lovely blog and will be following! wow! that is a gorgeous 2nd sofa and i think yes, I would have picked up that sofa because it does have pretty lines. i have a big regret over a huge victorian sofa i found at a flea market$100 but it didn't fit in our small condo. i always wished that i had been able to store it somewhere until we had our [now in possession] home, what can you do? we can only learn our lesson and not less a great opportunity pass us up again in the future!

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

Pam @ over50feeling40 (December 10, 2010 at 7:18 AM)  

Jiye,
I just discovered your blog and I really like it!
I will add you to my blog list! I see many ideas here that an over 50 will like! Hope you stop by and visit my site some time...I will return!

Anonymous –  (December 10, 2010 at 12:29 PM)  

Anonymous here. (Wow, I really have to think about getting a new name). As for your question about flea markets and antique stores, I tend to think those are less risky because bedbugs need to feed regularly in order to procreate. That being said, bedbugs can live for up to 2 months in nooks and crannies without sustenance (they just won't have lots of babies) and you'd be in big trouble if you brought something home with some of those suckers hidden away. Personally, having gone through the nightmare, I would never buy used furniture.

Bottom line though, life is short and bedbugs are everywhere nowadays anyways, so some people might say "c'est la vie" and keep picking things up despite the risks.

Great. I'll forever be known as the weird bedbug lady from here on out.

christiana (December 11, 2010 at 12:13 AM)  

haha i could totally see your hubby just drive away

Marthie On The Move (December 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM)  

I have picked up a couch before!!!
And that couch has potential!

http://shoesplurge.blogspot.com

Anonymous –  (December 12, 2010 at 7:01 PM)  

I wouldn't have picked it up but only because I live in an apartment & wouldn't have anywhere to put it...

My good friend Kerry from http://www.firsttimefancy.blogspot.com would be allll over it. I can just see her spending hours refurbishing it.

Mariel Torres (December 12, 2010 at 7:15 PM)  

oooh! i would love a blue couch like that... it is stunning!

Joseph (December 13, 2010 at 8:35 AM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
JS Grame-Smith (December 21, 2010 at 4:37 AM)  

its amazing looking of the sofas , i really want to seat on it.
----
Berkline

Post a Comment