Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Black Tie Matters

We have a black tie event coming up in January for hubbie's work. If it were a wedding, I wouldn't be as cautious about what to wear but since this is my husband's company, I want to make a good impression. Especially because he's new at the company and this will be my first time meeting a lot of his managers, etc. So, the question is: 

Are floor length gowns necessary for a black tie event?

If so, here are some gorgeous ones I came across...



I love this last one the most! But, I would never spend thousands of dollars on a dress to wear just once so if I do decide to go floor length, I'll most likely be checking out Rent The Runway's collection. If you haven't heard of it, it's a dress rental company. I actually wanted to start a dress rental company myself but that's a whole nother story.

So, help me out! Do you think floor length is necessary or optional? And any suggestions on where to find cute, affordable dresses?

Elle (December 16, 2010 at 7:33 AM)  

I think a black tie work event calls for floor length dresses...I think really young people (probably mid-teens to 20ish) can get away with a cocktail length dress but it's otherwise not as appropriate. Definitely check out RTR! :)

Fast Food & Fast Fashion

stephanie (December 16, 2010 at 7:56 AM)  

I second RTR! And I think you could go with a really sassy cocktail dress or floor length, I wouldn't say floor length is mandatory.

The Undomestic Mom (December 16, 2010 at 8:33 AM)  

I have no idea about the floor length vs cocktail but Im a dying for that last dress...gorgeous! It would look amazing on you!

chicagosun (December 16, 2010 at 8:50 AM)  

I wore floor length dresses to hubby's holiday galas back in the day - and most of the women did the same. I miss going to those...

Anonymous –  (December 16, 2010 at 9:13 AM)  

Floor length! I think that floor length is most common and it's better to ere on the side of conservative.

coolkids (December 16, 2010 at 9:19 AM)  

I think it may depend where the event is but I think these days you don't have to do floor length.

AubreyOhDang! (December 16, 2010 at 10:55 AM)  

the red one is my fave. and yes, black tie = floorlength. I can't imagine a shorter dress looking appropriate.

Roxy Te (December 16, 2010 at 11:13 AM)  

floor length! Besides that least dress is so pretty- you need it :)
p.s. My new look is up! I'd love to know what you think, Jiye!

foxes & flamingos (December 16, 2010 at 11:37 AM)  

Optional for sure... I have to say though of the ones above LOVE the Gucci one. That is my pick!

FRANKIE HEARTS FASHION (December 16, 2010 at 12:51 PM)  

I definitely don;t think that floor length dictates the "black tie" moniker. There are plenty of shorter dresses that give the same elegant vibe. But that Marchesa is amazing!

Unknown (December 16, 2010 at 1:21 PM)  

i love the rachel gilbert one.. looks like something i've seen on jennifer aniston! the gucci one also looks like it would be so flattering and sexy!

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons (December 16, 2010 at 1:52 PM)  

My other half is in the marine corps so when anything is labeled black tie - I go floor length. There are always a few girls running around in gorgeous knee length cocktail dresses and, truth be told, sometimes I would like to be the girl in the short dress... but I know all the wives of bosses and chain of command will be wearing floor lenghth -- So I do the same.

what a great idea to use a snazzy rental company =) I've never thought of that! Maybe i'll do that for the next formal dinner/party!

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons (December 16, 2010 at 1:53 PM)  

ps: ive noticed the girls in the short dresses at the military balls and parties get a LOT of dirty looks =( it makes me sad that girls can be so jealous and catty but holy moly i'm glad i'm not the one getting the looks!!

Hope this helps?

Elaine (December 16, 2010 at 5:13 PM)  

I think floor length gowns are very elegant and classy! I think you should do it :)

www.clothedmuch.com

C (December 16, 2010 at 6:05 PM)  

I think you should go for floor length dresses. It's better to be overdressed than underdressed :) I LOVE the second gown you posted, covers everything but yet is so chic!

Anonymous –  (December 16, 2010 at 7:39 PM)  

Sometimes, it depends on the company, honestly. What does he do for a living?

Yvonne (December 16, 2010 at 8:12 PM)  

i love rachel gilbert!!! she makes the most feminin clothes.

i definitely think you should do the floor length dress. it's black-tie! what other chance will you have to dress in floor length? carpe diem!

TheBabyMammaChronicles (December 16, 2010 at 8:55 PM)  

Yeah, unfortunately, I think you should definitely go with the floor length. The first one is my favorite. But I think the dress rental is an awesome idea!

Gina –  (December 16, 2010 at 10:51 PM)  

I would go with floor length at least this first time--after this you'll get a better sense of his firm's culture. I always err on the side of caution, but that's just me. The third dress is my favorite--classy yet still sexy and not too trendy in case your husband works for a more conservative firm.

Craftiness NOW (December 19, 2010 at 9:46 AM)  

so exciting to prepare for a big event like that! not sure about the floor length requirement, but i'm curious to hear about your experience with the dress rental company. have fun!

Finley (February 3, 2011 at 8:06 PM)  

I accidentally clicked on your name in Kendi's blog, but glad I did. :) Cute outfit here - I love anything sequins and J. Crew! And Theory and Balenciaga! Well, you pretty much just summed up my wardrobe (with a little bit of Forever 21 mixed in)!

mommy-chic.blogspot.com

Finley (February 3, 2011 at 8:07 PM)  

Wait - just realized I posted this comment on the wrong post! Stupid blogger...

mommy-chic.blogspot.com

Post a Comment