Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Chicago Parent Panel Question

 A huge shout out and thank you to my friend, Sarah of Truly Smitten who redesigned my blog banner! She designed my original one and then emailed me out of the blue yesterday saying she wanted to update it for me. She also did all the paper goods for my daughter's first birthday seen here.  She's sooo talented!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm part of the Parent Panel at Chicago Parent Magazine. Every month, we're given a controversial question to answer. I decided to post the questions here each month to hear what you all have to say.

This month's question is:
You strongly disagree with how a parent is treating their child. Do you step in?

I'd love to hear your thoughts too!

donna (October 14, 2010 at 11:08 PM)  

ooh! love the new banner!

Lili (October 14, 2010 at 11:23 PM)  

my blog is in dire need of rehab....your banner is lovely!

re : chicago parent magazine question - as long as the parent is not physically abusing the child, i dont think im in no position to step in and reinforce my beliefs, as i would not appreciate someone who will poke their nose in my business esp telling me how to raise my child if not asked.

Couture and Crayons (October 14, 2010 at 11:35 PM)  

Great new banner! I agree 100% with swankychicfete.

Janice (Couture and Crayons)

Content Director - Strong Female Leaders (October 15, 2010 at 12:46 AM)  

Nice new header girl! Hmmm, this question is quite controversial. If it's verbal abuse, it would have to depend on the degree of harshness. But if it's physical, then I would definitely step in. I just hope the parent doesn't hit me instead, hahahaha!

Cara Kuhl (October 15, 2010 at 9:10 AM)  

Although I'm not a parent yet myself, I have to say I've thought about this question a lot as I am an onlooker to my friends' parenting ~ I think my answer would be "it depends". If it is something I truly feel is harmful to the child (abuse of any kind), I would of course step in. If it is something I can step back from and separate it as an instance of difference in parental styles, I would let them do their job and trust they know what's best for their family.

PS ~ cute banner :)

Truly Smitten (October 15, 2010 at 12:20 PM)  

Thanks Jiye! I love the new banner too =).

Hmmm...that's a toughie. But, as long as the parent isn't being physical, I guess I can't step in. However, I would propbably tip off the DCSF or something....

coolkids (October 15, 2010 at 1:21 PM)  

love the new look!

Tough tough question! I think it defintely depends on the situation...who the parent is etc...Luckily I haven't been in that siutation yet!

TheBabyMammaChronicles (October 15, 2010 at 6:25 PM)  

I agree with the other ladies on the question. Any kind of abuse, absolutely, in a second. No abuse, probably not, if I was truly concerned and it wasn't abuse I might try and pull the parent aside if possible and voice my concern. Shew, I guess I hope I'm not in that situation though.

Justine (October 15, 2010 at 6:25 PM)  

I would love to read people responses on this!


Just Better Together

Behind The Seams (October 15, 2010 at 11:08 PM)  

Thanks for following! Your little girl is adorable!!

Anonymous –  (October 16, 2010 at 10:48 PM)  

I know every parent will have an off-moment, rough day with the child. It depends, I might try to say something to help her calm down {sometimes empathy helps}.

If it's NOT child abuse, I'd mind my own business. What is Child Abuse?

# Child abuse is physical -- shaking, hitting, beating, burning, or biting a child.

# Child abuse is emotional -- constantly blaming or putting down a child; excessive yelling, shaming.

# Child abuse is sexual -- incest, any forced sexual activity, exposure to sexual stimulation not appropriate for the child's age.

# Child abuse is neglect -- a pattern of failure to provide for the child's physical needs, such as food, clothing, shelter, and medical care; a pattern of failure to provide for the child's emotional needs, such as affection, attention, and supervision.

Lissa (October 20, 2010 at 10:48 PM)  

It makes me feel frustrated as a parent when people undermine me in public. So unless there was some physical abuse going on I wouldn't step in right away. The other kinds of abuse, you can talk to the parent without the child around so they don't have to defend themselves as much. Otherwise you gotta let people make mistakes - we all do.

Post a Comment