Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Colors in our Home

I'm always getting asked what paint colors we used on our walls so I finally decided to do a post on it. 4 years later, I'm still loving our walls and at the end of this post, I'll let you in on how we chose such awesome colors!

All paint is by Benjamin Moore.

 Entrance hallway: 2134-30 Iron Mountain
I wanted to use this very dramatic charcoal-y color for the entryway. My intention was to hang sconces and have a black and white picture wall but I never got around to it. Maybe next year...
Oh and excuse our pug, Turtle and my dear daughter in her underwear (to my defense, we were potty training!)

Living Room: 1468 Willow Creek
This neutral gray provides the perfect balance between modern and warm.
Okay fine fine! So what if I used an old, pre-baby picture of our living room? Sad to say, this room looks very different post-baby.

Master Bedroom: 2108-50 Silver Fox
Another neutral, warm gray.

Both Bathrooms (powder room shown): 1632 Glass Slipper
I wanted a soothing, calming blue for the bathrooms.

Guest Room/Office turned into Nursery: AC-32 Pismo Dunes
We chose this neutral beige when this space served as an office but it actually works just as nicely in A's nursery. For more nursery pics, click here.

Picking paint colors is a hugely difficult task for a newbie (such as myself). The color always looks completely different when it's on a huge wall, as opposed to a tiny swatch. 

So...we went to one of our favorite furniture stores, Room & Board. I'd always admired the paint in their mock up rooms. So, I asked a sales associate and she said to write down my favorites and she would give me the swatches. Voila! Beautiful, foolproof paint choices!

Do you have a paint related story? I want to hear them all...the good, the bad, and the ugly!

Drew (October 20, 2010 at 9:17 PM)  

I love playing with paint and changed the colors in my old bedroom very frequently. Biggest mistake? Yellow. Best color? An ice blue from Sherwin Williams which is the color I left the room when I moved out.

Being back in an apartment, I'm making my color choices carefully but leaning towards one wall of a darker blue/grey in the bedroom portion of the studio and a nice warm but lighter grey throughout the rest of the apartment. Next day off the hubs and I have we're going to get the big samples to throw up on the wall and watch for awhile to make sure we love them. I don't want to re-paint after this initial change!

TheBabyMammaChronicles (October 20, 2010 at 9:17 PM)  

I wish! I'm a renter. Can't wait to have our own place so we can go crazy with paint!

palmandpineblog (October 20, 2010 at 9:17 PM)  

The colors are beautiful and sooo relaxing! What a warm home you have :)

<3, natasha
http://poshxoxo.blogspot.com

Veronika (October 20, 2010 at 9:22 PM)  

your home is beautiful! I have grays in our home too- such a crisp clean look!

joelle van dyne (October 20, 2010 at 9:28 PM)  

this is timely as i just repainted my living room! you did a great job choosing colors- they all look great. ~joelle

Joyti (October 20, 2010 at 9:30 PM)  

I was never allowed to paint my room in any color, no matter how I pleaded. But your colors are awfully pretty, especially the iron mountain and glass slipper.

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons (October 20, 2010 at 9:55 PM)  

Beautiful home! I'm in love with the grey on the walls!!! It looks very crisp and clean =)

Unknown (October 20, 2010 at 11:02 PM)  

I love the choices you have made in your rooms. Very dramatic, calming and neutral. Your nursery is beautiful!

honey my heart (October 20, 2010 at 11:10 PM)  

your home is gorgeous. i love the colors and think they fit each room quite nicely :)

Megan Elizabeth Johnson (October 21, 2010 at 12:10 AM)  

I love your home, & the paint colours are gorgeous. I admit to being a newbie too :) It's good to hear someone else say it too.

PS - thanks for the comment :)

Truly Smitten (October 21, 2010 at 12:17 AM)  

I am loving the dark charcoal grey in your entryway! my fav =).

Kimia Kline (October 21, 2010 at 12:41 AM)  

i love soft grays for walls--most people shy away from them because they think of gray as depressing. but your home is proof of how soothing and beautiful a color it can be!

Julie @ www.downtimeweblog.com (October 21, 2010 at 12:50 AM)  

Hi Jiye! Thanks for stopping by my blog, "down time". Wow, your house is gorgeous! Love your design insight. Sooooo....I'm gonna follow along. Cheers!

Content Director - Strong Female Leaders (October 21, 2010 at 1:47 AM)  

Wow your home is so beautiful! I just love that dark hardwood floor!

Mina (October 21, 2010 at 2:16 AM)  

oh wow your home is so nice. i love your bathroom. looks similar to mine only yours is 10X nicer.
xoxo
mina

Anonymous –  (October 21, 2010 at 2:18 AM)  

All rooms are very aesthetic. My favourite is the colour of the guest room. I want a similar colour in my dining-living room and I want to use some decoration (like neobaroque wallpaper) on one wall. Now I'm in the middle of the renovation but I can't wait until the end!

Catherine (October 21, 2010 at 7:57 AM)  

I impressed you made such perfect choices four years ago! I don't think I ever would have thought of the charcoal or the grays back then. You were ahead of the curve! So smart to go by Room & Board for advice... I might have to copy that strategy when we finally own a house.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! I love your blog!

Megan @ BeautyandtheBanker (October 21, 2010 at 8:49 AM)  

Your home is so pretty! I love your style!

LeRae (October 21, 2010 at 9:07 AM)  

What a beautiful rooms! these are all great colors~ love your wood floors as well~

Melody Martin (October 21, 2010 at 9:17 AM)  

Your paint colors are beautiful. My husband and I painted our bedroom a color called "Smokey Mountain." It's a warm medium gray. I love it so much. If we ever move, I'm painting our next room that color too.

Aracely @ Mama Fashion Files (October 21, 2010 at 9:25 AM)  

Love the colors - warm tones! Your place looks very modern - love it! We painted our home a few years ago. I have to say that I haven't found the perfect color for each room yet. For example, our kitchen was an orange/reddish color and I ended up hating it and now it's a pea green, much better. Our bedroom is yellow, ugh hate it now, and I haven't had the guts to tell hubby since he worked so hard painting it! DD's room I still love, it's a pale yellow with accents of chocolate brown and pink.

BTW, thanks for your comments on my blog! :-)

coolkids (October 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM)  

I love benjamin moore paint as well! When we moved into our house it was all white. It took a lot of work but we picked out the pain ourselves and we love it! I bought half gallons (worth it b/c then you don't have to go back and make a BIG fix) and put up 4 different colors...we would look at the paint at different times of the day to make sure we loved it. End the end 4 years later I would change a thing. oh and hire a painter!

Laurel Ann (October 21, 2010 at 11:04 AM)  

The Iron Mountain paint is stunning, absolutely wonderful. I like the grays and neutrals scheme. (And your kid is cute!)

http://one-girl-vs-world.blogspot.com

Dee O. (October 21, 2010 at 11:25 AM)  

Wow! your home looks absolutely gorgeous, I love these photos!!! Great job :)

That GOOD GOOD Blog

liz @ bon temps beignet (October 21, 2010 at 11:59 AM)  

Jiye your house is friggin amazing! Thanks for stopping by my blog!!!

-your newest follower ; )

Marcia B. (October 21, 2010 at 2:42 PM)  

OOO love your selection of colours, very calm and soothing!!! Oh, in the last picture, it was a designer trying to upstage some fashion drama to get 5 mins of fame lol, the police broke it up! lol I am currently doing some fashion styling and getting into photography!

JenlovesBal (October 21, 2010 at 9:16 PM)  

Great job decorating! I love the modern feel to it. :)

paige (October 21, 2010 at 10:39 PM)  

I like the living room, the bed room, everything yahoo! looks so refreshing, love the choice of colors. Not an eyesore. Congrats!=)

alexis scarff (October 22, 2010 at 10:17 AM)  

loveeeee your paint colors and love your adorable PUG!!!

christine, just bella (October 22, 2010 at 10:38 AM)  

Your home is beautiful!! I always loving seeing what paint colours people choose, it's always so hard to tell from such a tiny swatch!

I've gotten ideas from IKEA before - all there showrooms have little tags on the wall saying what Benjamin Moore colour they used.

I'm looking for a colour for my guest room right now and will be checking out some of yours! thanks!

Kristyn Burtt (October 23, 2010 at 10:18 AM)  

I love your floors! Is that a walnut hardwood? We are redoing our floors, so I am really into the darker wood.

:) KB
http://redcarpetcloset.blogspot.com/

Lilly Style (October 25, 2010 at 8:20 AM)  

Your home is sooo beautiful. LOVE the paint colors you picked and the decor.

My H and I have painted every single room in our home, except the half bathroom, and it just makes the home so much more cozy having it all painted.

o (October 25, 2010 at 3:34 PM)  

Omgosh, you have a beautiful home!! You did a wonderful job with the paint choices:) Seriously, loving that sink in the bathroom!

TheOwlsCloset.blogspot.com

Beth_S (October 26, 2010 at 7:24 AM)  

I loove your paint colors, especially the entrance and living room!

Post a Comment